|Description||The Harrow Local History Collection and Archive aims to preserve and make accessible the local history of the London Borough of Harrow, ancient and modern. |
The Harrow Local History Collection has existed in some form since 1948 when Wealdstone Library opened. This important collection was then given a more permanent home in the reference section of Gayton Library in 1968 after the first Local History Librarian was appointed, and was later moved to the Civic Centre Library when it opened in 1972. It moved to its current home at Headstone Manor & Museum after the Civic Centre Library closed in October 2013.
The Collection contains documents, books, ephemera, maps, and visual material relating to the current and past geographical area of the borough of Harrow and its residents.
The majority of the material is classified under the reference 'GB1102/LHC'.
Other local history material is categorized under the following categories:
GB1102/BUS - Local Businesses & Charities
GB1102/GAS - Local Groups, Associations & Societies
GB1102/GLA - Greater London Associations
GB1102/LAR - Local Authority Records
GB1102/PAR - Parish Records
GB1102/RES - Local Residents
GB1102/SCH - Schools
Special collections can be found under the following codes:
GB1102/EMW - E. M. Ware's 'Pinner in the Vale' Collection
GB1102/WIN - The Winkley Collection
GB1102/HWT - Harrow & Wealdstone Train Crash Collection
GB1102/DAV - The Percy Davenport Collection
The full collections can be browsed by clicking on the hyperlinked Ref No on this page.